Friday, May 22, 2015

On Bullying of LGBT students in the name of 'religious freedom'.

I have just read about a bill passed in the US State of Tennessee. Critics of this Bill, claim that this Bill, legislates the bullying of LGBT students, on the basis of religious freedom. I'm thinking about this objectively. I am a Christian, but I do understand the argument that no one deserves to be made to feel inferior for being 'different', whether this has to do with race, gender, sexuality, or disability. It's been a long time since I was at school. I do remember being bullied. It is interesting that some here, comment that Christians are the ones doing the bullying. I have to disagree with them. I was not among the popular kids in high school. Going to church was not considered cool. There are lots of reasons why bullying happens. Why concentrate on sexuality? It seems that anyone who is 'different' will be a target for bullies. Based on my experiences, I can list a few reasons why bullying happens. I won't pretend that my own experiences, are unique, and have never happened to anyone else. This article discusses some. Some kids are studious and academic, instead of good at sports. Some kids are quiet, and sensitive. Some kids lack self confidence. Some kids will show kindness to those that other kids are nasty to. Debates about the reasons why kids are bullied, are much broader than what is being acknowledged here.

No comments:

Post a Comment