Sunday, June 13, 2010

Thank you, Lionel Shriver, for your frankness, in the article, 'The Long Goodbye' which appeared in the Herald Sun's Sunday magazine.

Though I survived a serious illness as a teenager, and have since lost loved ones to terminal illnesses, I have often asked myself, how I would cope should any of my childhood friends have their lives cut short by diseases like cancer?

I could relate strongly to the feelings Shriver described, of how hard it is, and difficult to accept it is to see those we care about deteriorate. Then, there are the feelings of regret once that person is no longer with us, over things that we did not do, or say. These are part of the grieving process.

Shriver reminded me, that if I ever find myself in her position, that I will do the right thing, no matter how uncomfortable or confronting this will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment